Blogging can be a powerful marketing tool, putting businesses out in front of their target customers while potentially enhancing search engine optimization (SEO) and generating revenue.
That being said, simply creating and publishing a blog does not guarantee that your blogging will be successful. For one, there’s a lot of competition out there. In fact, the latest findings reveal that there are well over 30 million bloggers in the U.S. and that these numbers will continue to increase in the coming years.
Additionally, experts have found that:
- As many as 99 percents of all blogs fail.
- The main reason that blogs fail is that bloggers don’t know how to run and maintain their blogs.
Whether you are just starting out with blogging or you are ready to achieve better results from your blog, here are some indispensable tips for becoming a successful blogger.
Tip 1: Identify Your Niche & Your Target Audience.
What is your expertise?
How can you share interesting information with an online audience?
And who will be most interested in the insights you have to provide?
Determining your niche and who comprises your target audience can be incredibly helpful when it comes to:
- Choosing the right topics for blogs– The best topics will be the ones that answer your audience’s questions, help them solve their problems and/or share useful information that they don’t already know.
- Defining the tone– Tone can be informal, professional, funny, etc. The right tone is important to connecting with your audience and helping set you and your blog up as an authority on a given subject.
- Determining when and how often to publish blogs– Publishing times and frequency should be tailored to match your audience’s Internet use habits so that your latest blog content is easily and readily available to your audience when they are usually online.
Tip 2: Cultivate Your Unique, Authentic Voice.
In other words, use your blog to showcase your brand identity. Authenticity in blogging can go a long way to establishing trust and being likable. It can also be the key to setting your blog apart from competitors, giving you an edge that can be memorable with your audience – especially when they are in the market for the services and/products you have to offer.
If you are not sure how to craft a unique, compelling voice for your brand – or if you want to identify the nature of your brand’s voice:
- Develop a list of descriptors that fit your brand and the voice you want to project– These adjectives can reveal the type of tone and word choices that will exemplify your voice.
- Read your blogs or company mission statement out loud– This can uncover more helpful descriptors for shaping and amplifying your brand voice.
- Ask others what their impression of your brand is– This can help you gain insight regarding your current brand voice and whether it fits your ideas of what you want your brand identity to be.
Tip 3: Focus on the User Experience.
How useful and interesting is your blog content?
Are your blogs visually appealing?
How easy is it for an audience to read your blogs and, in particular, pinpoint any specific information they are looking for in a given post?
Here, the point is that your blogs should:
- Deliver value in terms of the topic, the quality of the writing and the specific information your blogs share
- Provide an optimal user experience by being well formatted, easy to scan and inviting to read.
Tip 4: Choose a Publishing Schedule & Stick to It.
Once you know who your target audience is, determine when they are online, and tailor your publishing plans to that schedule. Also, think about:
- How often your audience is looking for the types of posts you will be providing
- The posting frequency to which you can commit.
Regardless of whether you plan to blog daily, weekly or at some other frequency, make sure you are consistent with the schedule you choose. Regularly publishing blogs is pivotal to keeping and growing a loyal following.
Tip 5: Use the Right Tools.
The right tools can make blogging easier, saving you time and energy while helping you to continue to improve your posts. Depending on the nature of your blogging, some helpful tools include:
- Depositphotosto make blogs engaging with eye-catching images to pair with written text
- Grammarly assure blog quality by checking for typos, grammar errors and word choice issues
- Yoast SEO to optimize blogs so they are positioned for better rankings in search.
Tip 6: Promote Your Blog Posts & Engage Your Audience.
Publishing a finished blog should not be the last step in your blogging process if you are serious about increasing readership and maximizing the success of your blog. After publishing a post, make sure you have a plan to promote it.
Depending on who your target audience is, some effective ways to promote new blog posts can include:
- Creating corresponding social media posts, with a teaser for and link to the blog
- Announcing and linking to new blog posts in email marketing campaigns.
As you promote your blogs, you can continue engaging your audience by asking them to share the posts they like. Ask them to leave comments and give you feedback (on what they do and don’t like). As you gain more loyal readers, it can be easy to pass off some of the promotional efforts to them. It will motivate them to want to be promoting your blogs for you.
Tip 7: Monitor Results & Be Patient.
Keep an eye on the metrics for each blog – like the traffic, bounce rates, click-through rates, share rates and more. These metrics can reveal which types of posts your audience likes best when your audience is most likely to engage with your posts and other details that can be crucial to improving your blogging.
Finally, do not expect immediate results. Becoming a successful blogger can take time and patience – and if you are willing to do the work and whether some hiccups, you can achieve the awesome rewards of being a successful blogger.